You can now use IPv6 on your mobile in Spain: what it is, advantages and how to activate it
I start at the beginning, what is IPv6? IPv6, or Internet Protocol version 6, is the latest version of the Internet protocol used for online communication.
IPv6 It was designed to solve some of the problems that arose with the previous version, IPv4, such as the lack of available IP addresses and the need for greater communication security.
IPv6 uses 128-bit IP addresses, compared to the 32-bit used in IPv4. This means that IPv6 has a much greater ability to assign unique IP addresses, which is especially important given the increasing number of devices connected to the Internet. In addition, IPv6 offers improvements in network security and quality of service.
Although IPv6 was developed more than 20 years ago, has not yet been widely implemented. However, with the depletion of available IPv4 addresses and the growing need for more unique addresses, IPv6 is gaining momentum as the future of Internet protocol.
Advantages of IPv6 over the current IPv4
- Increased addressability: With IPv6, there are enough unique IP addresses available to assign a unique address to every device on the network. This means that there will be no shortage of IP addresses in the future, which is especially important in a world where more and more devices are connected to the Internet.
- Security improvements: IPv6 includes security enhancements, such as end-to-end encryption and authentication, that help protect privacy and data integrity.
- Improvements in the quality of service: IPv6 includes features that enable better quality of service, such as more efficient routing and real-time traffic prioritization.
- Network configuration simplification: IPv6 simplifies network configuration as devices can self-configure without the need for a DHCP server.
- Easy to use: IPv6 makes it easier for users to access online resources, since the addresses are easier to remember and type.
In summary, IPv6 offers several significant advantages over IPv4, including increased addressability, improvements in security and quality of service, simpler network configuration, and greater ease of use.
As more devices connect to the Internet, IPv6 is likely to become the predominant Internet protocol in the near future.
How to activate IPv6 on your smartphone
To start you have to know that we We do not have to do anything for our operator to activate IPv6 in our case. This is automatic and as the operators activate IPv6 in their operations, the users will receive it.
What we can check is that our smartphone has the protocol activated within the network and connection options. And since Movistar and O2 have first activated IPv6 in their operations (only for Android) we show you how to activate it on your mobile.
On your smartphone go to Settings> Networks and Internet and in Mobile network click on Access point name. Check if Movistar telefonica.es APN appears. If not, click on APN and add it.
As you can see, it is very easy to activate IPv6 on your phone. The question is that your operator activates the option from its servers, we do not enter there because things in the palace go slowly and the IP addresses they are one of those things.